When one is paying a technician to do a repair, you are partly paying for his /
her ability as a diagnostician as well.  The only repairperson I have ever
encountered who would charge for an unnecessary repair is one who was unable to
figure out the problem.  Aside from tapers, metal, and much of the engineering
of a horn, the actual mechanics are relatively simple, but also often quite
delicate.  So many of the problems with mass produced horns have to do with
assembly.  Occasionally, there are design flaws that are discovered only once
the horn is out in the field.  A great diagnostician will discover the problem
immediately.  A great technician will solve the problem immediately, often
redesigning an aspect of the horn to make it better.  There are charlatans in
every profession, but an experienced horn player can spot them a mile away.  I
have only had experience with men like Walter Lawson, Bob Osmun, Randy Ulmer,
and Bill Kendell, all of whom did excellent, meticulous work and never let me
down.  I have often paid a hefty wage for their services, but never more per
hour than I make as a player.  Through my friendship with Walter, I have better
come to understand the value of the experience and knowledge he and other fine
craftsmen have acquired without being paid (not unlike my own musical training)
and I can't begrudge any of them payment for their experience.  All of them
have been generous (particularly Walter) in sharing knowledge and guiding me to
do certain simple things on my own.  They could easily have taken those simple
repairs on as income for themselves.  Never once have I felt "ripped off" by
the technicians I have dealt with.  Bottom line...get to know your technician
well, establish a relationship of mutual respect and friendship, and you will
never pay for something unnecessarily.