From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Nicholas Hartman Hartman
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:00 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Anticipating the Beat

Dear list,
       This past summer, I had the opportunity to play
in a full size concert hall with a full symphony
orchestra. I listened to our recording of the
performance, and I noticed that the horns were
consistently about a quarter of a beat behind. I find
this strange because there was a wide range of talents
playing in this orchestra, and we were ALL behind the
beat. I'm sure this has to do with the hall, and it
would seem that the most obvious way to correct it
would be to play a quarter of a beat ahead. I have to
question if this is correct, because there were eight
horn players there, and none of us thought to play
ahead of the beat. Also, I have never had a teacher
tell me to play ahead of the beat. Is this common
practice among orchestral horn players, or is there
some trick I'm missing? Would the use of special
equipment (like a sound shield) help this problem, or
would that be on the list of blasphemous taboos of
horn playing? Thanks very much.

Nick Hartman