From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Goldberg
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 5:35 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Fingerings, accidentals & making
music

I sometimes mark parts by using small Post-Its.  They come
in many colors and sizes - you can cut the sticky part of
the back away from the rest so as to create a small piece of
tape that can be easily removed.  This way you can correct a
wrong note for example, not by circling the offender and
writing its correct name above the staff but by taping the
truth over it so you have no disturbance while playing it.
I do this sort of thing sometimes to mark (in RED) the
beginnings of long repeats so that I don't have to search
for them.  Also, in musicals, I stick a tab on the edge of
the page to find the curtain call excerpt in an instant that
is taken from 10 pages back.  Also, to mark word-cues so I
don't have to count measures of rest.  Etc.  The next user
of the music can remove all of my marks with a fingernail.

I can't remember what life was like before Post-its, hot
glue and duct tape.

I will guess that we are in a transitional phase now - as
more sheet music is digitized, it will be easier to always
use clean, new parts; presumably with corrections made, or
if the group receives the electronic file, then it can
tinker with cuts, transpositions, and all other corrections
easily.
Will the day come when our music stand is a flat-screen
computer?

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }