Actually, this is only part of the story, and a little bit off at  that.

As explained to me by Michel Garcin-Marrou (who was there):

French orchestras were losing their recording contracts due to the
uniqueness of their sound in the WW's and brass.  The producers and  conductors
were
deeming them "unmarketable."  Daniel Barenboim brought in  Mike Bloom (who was
available as he had just left Cleveland) to serve as  co-principal and help
train the horn players in the Orchestre de  Paris to adopt a more "universal"
approach.  WW and trumpet players  also adopted more "universal" styles and the
old schools gradually but  relatively quickly ceased to exist.  Paxman full
doubles in red brass  became the instrument of choice by many pros though now
one
finds many  Alexanders, Holtons, Hoyers, Conns, and E. Schmids as well as
other  makes being played in France just like everywhere else.

Michel was trained on the ascending Selmer double horn (the  French pro's
choice B.B.) and played with a wide vibrato, a la  Barboteu et al.  He now
plays
on a Paxman.  He is also one of the  greatest natural horn players I have ever
heard.

I find it ironic that the true "French horn" is no longer used in  France!
It long ago ceased to be used by the British, who gave it  that name in the
first place!  It is also evident of late that the eastern  Europeans and
Russians
are adopting a more "universal" style.  I'm  sure this is "market driven," as
well.  I don't think the Viennese will  switch as they are managing quite
well to market what they do and they have  figured out how to sell their
uniqueness.  In reality though, the Vienna  Philharmonic is an "original
instruments
group" in the truest sense.

Questions: What would be considered the "true American" style of horn
playing?  Who uses it these days?

KB

In a message dated 12/29/2005 11:21:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,