From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 4:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] start off on an F horn?

In a message dated 3/2/06 9:33:33 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Starting on an F single horn is important not only to keep
matters
> simple for the beginning player,

Simple compare to what. I just don't buy the mystique that a
double horn is harder to understand than a single. Sorry the
fingerings at this age are the fingerings they put down what
you tell them.

>  but also so the student will form the correct concept of
how the horn
> is supposed to sound,

Again, that should come from the teacher no kid picks up the
horn sounds great the sound concept is what your teacher
plays for you.

> how it is supposed to respond
> up & down the scale,

Okay so it responds differently when we switch them to a
double?

> the basics of how it works,

All brass instruments work the same you buzz the note and
you get a sound the higher the buzz the higher the note.

> The fundamental
> orientation & response of the horn's characteristic range
& voice, etc.

Well, tough for little guys to get the range happening maybe
the voice but I think that comes from what they hear others
do not what they produce.

> After an appropriate degree of progress, the horn student
will be
> ready to "graduate" from a single horn in F to a double
horn in F & B-flat.

Where they should have started to begin with. The bottom
line is kids stick with activities they are successful with
... they will be more successful starting on the double ...

The above is snarky so I sent it off list. Sorry for the
attitude but I just don't buy the single horn analogs.

Debbie