My 9 year old daughter is just starting to play.  She can hold a single F
more correctly than she can a double.  She doesn't know the difference in
how an F horn or Bb horn would play, and is not bemoaning the fact that the
F horn is harder than a Bb horn would be.  She does know that it will take a
certain amount of work to make progress on anything that is difficult at
first.  She knows that you have to be able to get a sound out of the
mouthpiece alone (which is neither in Bb nor F) in order to get one out of
the horn.  She doesn't have a fingering chart to look at, and doesn't need
one.  I tell her how to play the notes she needs and she remembers.  She
sounds like you would expect a third grader to sound, and doesn't mind a
bit.

John Baumgart