Hi Mark,
Yes, that is what I suggest. An orchestra rehearsal is, in general, three hours long. Ideally, you want to build your endurance to a point where you can not only last the full three hours, but have some reserve to spare. There's nothing like having the confidence that comes with knowing that you have the stamina needed to maintain your playing at it's highest level for the entire rehearsal and then some. As Prof. Pizka pointed out in a recent post, if you are going to be playing some of the longer Wagner opera's such as Die Meistersinger, etc., or Strauss tone poems, and you can't play longer than two and a half hours, you will find yourself "in trouble" and struggling to make it. And believe me-- you don't want to find yourself in those circumstances. That's when the bad habits creep in-- like pulling too much with the left hand on the pinkie hook/flipper, pinching and choking. As draconian as it might sound, four hours plus per day is not impossible. Think of the analogy of the long distance runner. The endurance needed to run a marathon (and horn playing is very much an athletic pursuit!) is not gained overnight. One must follow a training plan, which gradually builds up the runner's time to a point where they can last for the whole race. Same goes for horn playing. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is not something that you go out and do all of a sudden; you MUST approach the problem intelligently, pace yourself, and build up your endurance over time-- weeks, sometimes months. Barring any problems with the embouchure, it will come with time. In Philip Farkas' book, "The Art of Horn Playing" he discusses practising; if I remember correctly, he advocated at least three hours per day. Add rehearsals, band, chamber music, or whatever, and you can see that you need to have chops capable of lasting at least that long or longer. One other thing: if you think 30-35 hrs. per week is a bit much, rest assured that there are players out there who are already doing it. I quote from the first-rate book "Horn Technique" written by Gunther Schuller: "While on the subject of practising, I should like to utter a word of warning to those who propose to take the horn seriously and to make it a career. If you wish to achieve a position prominent enough to assure you the kind of livelihood you think you deserve, [following in italics] there must be some time in your student years during which you put in the six to twelve months of brutal hard work without which an enduring successful career is not possible. [end italics] This 'basic training' period is necessary not only in order to refine your playing to the highest professional level, but to build up the easily underestimated amount of resistance, both physical and mental, that the nervous tension of everyday professional playing demands. Any short cuts in this respect will sooner or later lead to trouble." (Horn Technique: Schuller, Gunther; Oxford University Press, 1976. pp.73)
Sincerely,
Martin Bender