Ensembles can correct quickly if everyone is
listening.  One type of disaster is where two sides of
the ensemble get out of coordination, perhaps due to
poor acoustics.

A few weeks ago one local ensemble had the concert
disaster of two sides of the ensemble starting
different pieces.  This occurred because the conductor
went out of sequence on the program, made a quiet
comment to the group about what was up (the wrong
piece) and some ensemble members did not hear.  So, we
had "Blue Tango" and "With a Song In My Heart" being
played simultaneously.  It sounded surprisingly good.
It took a while for the conductor to get everyone to
stop, as the trumpets really enjoyed doing the melody
of With a Song In My Heart and didn't want to quit.
Finally, when quiet arrived, the conductor turned
around and lectured the audience about how the
American composer, Charles Ives, composed music like
this.  This was for an audience that probably never
heard of Charles Ives.

Rehearsals now have the trumpets pulling this gag on
the conductor on some number in the rehearsal.
Mistakes are slow to be forgotten.  This one, maybe,
never.

This group has had even worse disasters, though.  Last
year, the group did a "music at the movies" concert--
not all of the video, to be shown on a large theater
screen, had been pre-screened, and an XX-rated bedroom
video scene was projected on screen located behind the
musicians while they played away.  This concert was
for a community arts festival, by the way. The
musicians (and I was one) saw only the expressions on
the faces of the audience.

Larry