I've seen such disasters from nothing more complicated than rearranging the
chairs to accomodate the size of the stage.  In our community band, the
horns sit at the back, stage right, and one time the conductor decided that
we should sit stage left, never having rehearsed with the trombones in our
ears and out of ear-shot of the usual people around us.

He went back to the rehearsal seating for the next concert. :)

One of my favorite things in choirs, both as conductor and as chorister, is
to mix up the people when you're sure everyone knows their part well.  It
doesn't work for all things but it can be delightful when it does.  I
confess to never having seen an orchestra do this, though.

-S-