Peter Hirsch says:

I have purchased 2 Marantz PMD (Models 660 and 670)units over the last
couple of years and am quite happy with their ease of use and quality of
recording.

The thing that bothers me about these Marantz units is that for uncompressed audio they do 16 bit, 44.1 KHz (CD standard, which, in practice, is what you'll use most) and 48 KHz ONLY. If I were getting something new today, I'd look, at least, for 24 bit sample size, and probably also for 88.2 KHz or 96 KHz sampling rate. The longer sample size makes setting levels less critical.

A friend whose opinion I respect (and who's getting a bcc: of this) tells me that 24 bit samples give more improvement in sound quality than higher sample rates. FWIW, I can only do 16/44.1 at the moment, and I do find I need to be careful with levels on "live" (as opposed to dubs from records or broadcasts) recordings. In fact, I find setting digital levels at sessions and concerts to be MUCH more critical than it ever was with analog, which, theoretically, at least, is noisier.

        Though the CD is limited to 16/44.1 and two channels, audio DVD's are
not.

                                Howard Sanner
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]