From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Steve Freides
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 6:56 PM
To: 'The Horn List'
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Conductors etc

Hans Pizka wrote:

-snip-

> ... The
> greatest advantage of these great conductors is their
ability to
> LISTEN, to listen what´s coming from the various players
in the pit or
> on stage and just use what´s being offered to them or even
fine tuning
> the one or the other phrase or voice.

As a conducting student, I found this process the heart of
the matter but, while easy enough to describe, very
difficult to do well.  One must learn to conduct what one
wants musically, to ask for what one wants with words, but
to do that well _and_ to listen carefully to what's being
played - that is a real multi-tasking skill.  Those who can
only listen and critique are coaches, not conductors.

My favorite definition of musical talent comes from theorist
Carl Schachter.
I cannot quote him exactly, but if one knows a bit about
Schenkerian analysis, Carl's speciality, one can appreciate
his comment that while many people might be able to manage
the "big picture" (emotion, character, style, history,
etc.), the smallest details, or the levels in between (e.g.,
phrasing), the truly talented at music manage _all_ these
things simultaneously, and it is that simultaneous attention
to the big picture, the smallest detail, and everything in
between that makes for a great performance.  Carl studied
with, and later coauthored a theory text with Felix Saltzer
who, in turn, worked directly with Heinrich Schenker.  And
let me hasten to add that Carl is a delightful, insightful
teacher, a wonderfully musical pianist, and always a
interesting person to be around.

-S-