Now to take the subject down a few common denominator
levels, to the ranks of the uneducated and definitely
unpaid-- thoughts on conductors of adult amateur
groups.  There is much that could be discussed here
among those who chose to think about it at least a
little.

Amateurs play in ensembles for a variety of reasons,
for differing goals.  Most want to improve; most want
the rehearsals and concerts to be enjoyable.  I think
these are among the most common and most important
goals of amateurs.  I am tired of looking around at
faces in groups and seeing glum and frustrated
expressions.  The conductor is the one best positioned
to change this undesirable condition.

To cut this short-- conductors need to do the
following.
1) Set clear expectations for performance. Hand out
the music ahead of time and tell musicians to learn
their parts in their own practice time.  Give
musicians a heads up of which pieces will be worked on
at the next rehearsal-- announce at the previous
rehearsal or send out a group e-mail.
2) Know the score yourself; know your interpretation.
Nothing is as frustrating to the group as being
directed by a conductor who is lost or is studying the
score during rehearsal.
3) Hold your instructive comments until a substantial
portion of the piece has been played-- better, wait
until the movement is finished.  Then go over your
long list of comments with everyone.  My biggest gripe
is aimed at conductors who stop every time they have
some comment to make-- this may be acceptable for the
pro ranks, but it is totally unacceptable for amateur
groups.  Remember that amateurs are there to enjoy the
music, not to be micromanaged by a neurotic
conductor-- and there are many of these out there.
4) The conductor at rehearsal should bring the
ensemble together to play as a unity, to bring
intensity to the music beyond the mere mechanics.

The key awareness issue for clear-headed ensemble
amateurs is -- are we having fun?

Regards,
Larry