In my view, many of the same characteristics are needed for a conductor of
amateur groups as for professional, but perhaps not in such concentrated
form.

One key difference is that amateurs play for enjoyment, and if they stop
enjoying themselves they will stop playing or go elsewhere. That means that
the conductor of an amateur group has to go about his business more by
encouragement. That doesn't mean avoiding criticism, but concentrating the
criticism on a specific point rather than on the player in general, and
where possible asking for something to be played differently without
implying it was wrong before - after all there are many different approaches
to music making!

I have no time for amateur conductors (or amateur groups for that matter)
who aren't genuinely trying to produce the very best performance they are
capable of. I would much rather play with a group of lesser ability that is
trying to improve than a better group that has become lazy and complacent.
In other words, a professional *attitude* needs to be brought to rehearsal
and performance irrespective of the quality of the players.

Regards
Jonathan West