The Britten Serenade with piano is fine when it is
done with a master pianist. Of course it is not ideal,
but it works well, sounds full enough to be effective
and is very good music. By the way, in a recital
setting, it matches well with some other Ben Britten
works, tenor, horn and piano.
A dogmatic approach like I have heard ( "should not be
done with piano") only leads to dogmatic playing and
repertoire one might miss.

Lets hold out for some real issues to completely say
no to, rather than leaving out concertos, and rep.
such as the Serenade. If my student falls in love with
the Britten, why would I not be a vehicle for them to
perform it? If the student fails to gather the proper
forces( strings), it is my duty to help them make the
best possible performance with piano...

Matthew Scheffelman
Horn Professor, CSU, Fort Collins