Hi List members!
This statement about the best five is quite ridiculous.
The writer of this article http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=44570 is very
unfair.
But a typical critic.
I learned, that all critics can be interpreted just the  other way round.
All he says can be positiv instead of negativ.
I can personally not understand his statements about  Franz Welser Möst.
I played with him, when he was just a young and ambitiuous conductor,
Anton Bruckners 5ths Symphony, Mahlers 1st Symphony, "Das Buch mit sieben
Siegeln" from Franz Schmidt, and can only say the best of him.
Franz Welser Möst analysed these works thoroughly and knew all details of
all the backgrounds.
I also cannot understand the points against Mazel.
I had the opportunity, to listen to a rehearsal with  the Vienna
Philharmonic, sitting next to the horns. Never saw such a clever and
understanding conducting of such a complicated rhythmic work. (It was Till
Eulenspiegel)
Could it be the author of above article Fred Kirshnit is just a frustated
musician, who could not play in such big and good orchestras?

Liebe Gruesse/Best regards, Hans Illich

Ing. Johann Illich, Ortmayrstr.37, A-4060 Leonding,  Austria
+43-732-995275 priv.  +43-6888333895 mobil