Jerry Houston wrote:

Carl Bangs wrote:

If you ship an uncased horn, use a sturdy box large enough so that the
horn is not touching the sides. Pack it in packing peanuts so that the
horn floats as if it were in the womb and it will arrive safely.  I
have never had a horn that I shipped arrive damaged.

I go a step farther than that when I ship an uncased horn. I pack it with suitable packing material in a box that fits closely, then pack that box in a bigger box that allows for several inches of additional peanuts on all sides.

It's a few dollars more for the additional box and extra shipping charges, but I just think of it as extra insurance.

The problem with a close fitting box is that if the horn can move at all, the box becomes a fulcrum against which the torque of the horn can cause the bell throat to become twisted. This happens frequently in cases. I have found that shipping a horn without the case is much safer.