I once received a horn who's leadpipe was actually sticking through the side of
the box!  It had about 3 pieces of crumpled newspaper in the box, I think for
decoration, certainly not for any functional reason.  I've gotten horns that
were just put in the box with no packing material whatsoever.  These were after
writing the seller and offering to pay extra to ship it the right way.  I'm not
sure what people are thinking.  Several times I've gotten instruments without
cases that had plenty of packing above, but they were sitting directly on the
bottom of the box.  Luckily, only minor damage so far.

- Steve Mumford