Most of the (amateur) hornists I know do 1), but not 2). If anything, 2),
oiling the shaft on the stop arm is more important: that's where the wear and
noise occurs. Get a bottle with a needle, it's less messy.

And yes, Ken, getting some light, valve oil in the rotors is also extremely
important. It keeps the green carbonate monster away.

Herb Foster