Well, the answer is pretty simple isn't it?  They used to sound good.  Some
of the greatest orchestral recordings ever were made using 8Ds.  The sound
worked in the hall if you knew how to play it.  Worked on tape too.
    You can call out some drawbacks of the 8D, but obviously, in the right
hands, it's a pretty darn good thing.  There are people who can play them
cleanly, quietly, loudly, beautifully, high, low.  I've heard these people
live, it's not a recording trick.
    I mean the Elkhart ones.  There were good and bad ones made back then.
Most are just plain worn out now.  There haven't been any 8Ds made since 1970,
just some imitations with the Conn name on them.

- Steve Mumford