Hello Jeffrey, I agree with you, but I would even go
further. Too many players today produce just an acoustical
event, but no tone, no special tone, no personal tone, not a
beautiful tone, just a colorless more or less intonated &
dynamically controlled NOISE, nobody would care about.

What is a good horn tone ?
A good horn tone is like a good "average" male human voice,
a human higher baritonal voice. Imagine that, try to
transfer this excperience to your horn playing & try to
arrive with a similar result, no matter what horn (brand,
bore, metal, technical type, mouthpiece, etc.) you use. Sing
the horn or make it sing, but accept that there are millions
of mini-variations possible. Stop playing the horn, if it
sounds like a car-horn (sorry, this is not uncommon !) or a
castrated alto-trombone. Be realistic & fair in your
self-judgement.

To achieve this goal, experiment in a multitude of ways:
angle between leadpipe axis & front teeth axis, right hand
function, mouth cavity, passive air support, impetus by the
tongue, color imagination, MORE F-SIDE because of overtones,
- equipment comes last: medium bore (average), larger bore
mouthpiece, medium thick bell (average), etc. - and two
things never cease: listening & practising (not mechanically
& boring, but using the brain & oeconomically and allways
but not everything & also tone studies & tone studies again
!)