I have Randy Gardner's book, and I just read it last week.  It is
really good, but the section on the decibel meter is completely
confusing to me.  I have always had a problem with under balancing in
all of the sections that I have played in, and on all of the parts
that I have played.  A lot of times I back off on air and sound when I
listen.  I even found myself doing this with the tuning CD yesterday.
Because of my problem with projection and under balancing I have
considered buying a decibel meter, but I'm really unsure of how to use
one.