I thought I'd add one last bit to this and then let it go -

For those of you who aren't looking for a "carry-on" solution but
something that can be safely checked and stowed (for those of you who
tour often and are on a plane almost every other day), there are a
couple solutions.  Many folks use the Anvil brand cases for this but
they are VERY heavy and quite bulky.  However, Pelican offers a line of
cases which is very lightweight, very rugged and you can find a case the
right size to fit your horn.  I buy my Pelicans from B&H Photo Video
(www.bhphotovideo.com) since they seem to have the cheapest prices on
them.  They come with a "pick-and-pluck" foam or naked (no foam at all).
I would advise against the P&P foam as it crumbles easy and it's not
terribly shock resistant.  Instead, there's another company - CaseCad
(www.casecad.com) - which will make custom laser cut foam which is a
medium density foam and which doesn't flake and get in your valves and
on your slides like the P&P foam would.  All told, you could get a case
and a custom cut insert to securely hold and lock up your horn for
around $400-$500.

I have no affiliation with any of these companies - I just trust their
work implicitly!  I carry around 1 case which contains nearly $40,000 of
microphones and it's a Pelican with CaseCAD inserts and I wouldn't trade
it for the world!

One little side benefit - the Pelicans are water tight and buoyant up to
a certain weight (more weight than the horn would ever be).  That way if
the plane goes down over sea, you'll have something to do until the
rescue team arrives.

Cheers!

Jeremy

Checked by AVG Free Edition.