subject: [Hornlist] Mute problem
I think this is a problem with out supply and demand economy, that every thing is getting more specialized, we forgot things such as auto mechanics 80 years ago did not have spare parts, they had to make replacements; even ball bearings. Try putting your finger down the side of the mute in the bell, you can find the right position and best tuning. RIchard Burdick
Hi
I bought a Dennis Wick aluminium straight mute a while back.
It works fine in the higher register but around and below middle-C ( F horn=
notation ) it stops sounding like a mute and just gives an unsatisfactory =
muffled sound with poor intonation.
My old Humes and Berg was fine but the corks fell apart and I was hoping to=
upgrade. Is there something I can do with the Dennis Wick or should I be l=
ooking for something else.
My horn has a narrow bell flare - I guess there are mutes that would work w=
e=B4ll in something like an 8D that wouldn't be suitable for my purposes.
Any ideas=3F
regards,
Graham