<My old Humes and Berg was fine but the corks fell apart and I was hoping to upgrade.>

I liek my Trumcor mute. It has a fine muted sound in all registers. However, my friend is still playing on the same H & B mute he bought in the early 60's. His corks also fell apart. He bought cork at the hardward store, cut it in strips & glued them to his mute. He had to experiment with different thicknesses & placement, but he finally got it right. What finally worked was a single thickness of cork material, about 1/8" thick, placed about 1/2 inch from the small end of the mute. He painted it black, added a cord so he could hang it on his wrist. That old mute looks cool and sounds great! ~ Valerie