[Q] After spending many weeks taking just a single F (Conn 4D) to rehearsals
and using it for the following concert, I got that particular monkey off my
back.  I'm convinced that practicing on a single F is good discipline, too.
You just can't let yourself get sloppy. [/Q]

I have also used a single f for rehearsals and even concerts.  My useful
single f horns are a 1930's Conn 4d and a single f made in Bohemia-I haven't
rounded out my Alex collection quite yet.  I might switch more regularly to
a single f when the blessed day comes that I acquire my first Wiennerhorn!
I even use a single b horn as a descant horn and have lately been looking at
single f alto horns.  Don't get me wrong, I do value my double horns and
utilize all the f and b horn in all ranges as phrasing and the music demand
whether conventional or not. I just agree with Jerry and Carlberg in the
value of the venerable single f.

The Jack Attack!
(...wishing a Pizka or Jungwirth pumpenhorn would fall from the sky...)