From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 3:07 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] taped excerpts audition

Hello Fellow Horn Folk-

I have a quick question out there for those of you who have more experience
putting together audition tapes and/or adjudicating.

I am preparing a taped audition which includes only excerpts.  I feel more
comfortable leaving out the specifics, as it is very possible that others on
this list are taking the same audition.

Several of the excerpts mailed to me have instructions which say to "play
between rehearsal marking X to rehearsal marking Y". But these have sections
in between the solo measures which are long rests or simple tutti horn
sections (whole notes).  On the recording, should I count out the rests
exactly and play the tutti parts too ? Or does the committee just want to
hear the solo material?  Should I compromise and play everything, but skip
over the long rests?

My instinct is too play everything per the instructions, but including the
rests the section is several minutes long, with only about 6 measures of
solo stuff and seems like a waste of the comittee's time to listen through.

Thanks a lot,

David Meichle
Lawrence University WI

David Meichle