From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 10:07 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] taped excerpts audition

Hello Fellow Horn Folk-

I have a quick question out there for those of you who have
more experience putting together audition tapes and/or
adjudicating.

I am preparing a taped audition which includes only
excerpts.  I feel more comfortable leaving out the
specifics, as it is very possible that others on this list
are taking the same audition.

Several of the excerpts mailed to me have instructions which
say to "play between rehearsal marking X to rehearsal
marking Y". But these have sections in between the solo
measures which are long rests or simple tutti horn sections
(whole notes).  On the recording, should I count out the
rests exactly and play the tutti parts too ? Or does the
committee just want to hear the solo material?  Should I
compromise and play everything, but skip over the long
rests?

My instinct is too play everything per the instructions, but
including the rests the section is several minutes long,
with only about 6 measures of solo stuff and seems like a
waste of the comittee's time to listen through.

Thanks a lot,

David Meichle
Lawrence University WI

David Meichle
Lawrence University WI
_
Are you safe? Click for quotes on a home security system.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iif8bYWza1b
8FxGdLNxpoSLwqxluNAQxFdzg7bcG73DAGKGP6/

de