From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Howard Sanner
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:28 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: C.F. Schmidt History

        "Schmidt made great horns. Unfortunately, they
weren't designed to fit the human hand"--Samuel Ramsay.

        Although Sam built a little "platform" over the
change valve that made his Schmidt as comfortable to play as
any horn. If anybody knows what happened to Sam's Schmidt,
please contact me. I know it wasn't among the horns sold
after his death.

        The New Langwill Index, by William Waterhouse, gives
quite a bit of information about Schmidt. I suspect the
earlier Index of Musical Wind-Instrument Makers, by Lindesay
G. Langwill has similar data. I don't have a copy handy to
look it up for you.

        IMHO, the Weimar refers to the city where Liszt
taught. "vor Berlin" means "earlier Berlin," i.e., his shop
was in Berlin before he moved to Weimar.

        With one glaring exception, all the Schmidts I've
ever played have been fantastic horns. Lawson FB115.125
pipes will generally clean up any intonation problems, as
long as the valves are tight.

        HTH.

                                Howard Sanner

[EMAIL PROTECTED]