was the conn 8d modeled after the Schmidt?

In a message dated 1/29/2008 1:30:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

"Schmidt made great horns. Unfortunately, they weren't designed to
fit the human hand"--Samuel Ramsay.

Although Sam  built a little "platform" over the change valve that
made his Schmidt as  comfortable to play as any horn. If anybody
knows what happened to Sam's  Schmidt, please contact me. I know
it wasn't among the horns sold after  his death.

The New Langwill Index, by William Waterhouse,  gives quite a bit
of information about Schmidt. I suspect the earlier  Index of
Musical Wind-Instrument Makers, by Lindesay G. Langwill has
similar data. I don't have a copy handy to look it up for  you.

IMHO, the Weimar refers to the city where Liszt  taught. "vor
Berlin" means "earlier Berlin," i.e., his shop was in Berlin
before he moved to Weimar.

With one glaring  exception, all the Schmidts I've ever played have
been fantastic horns.  Lawson FB115.125 pipes will generally clean
up any intonation problems, as  long as the valves are tight.

HTH.

Howard Sanner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]