From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 2:20 pm
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: C.F. Schmidt History

Dave, no need for puzzles here.  The whole thing is a clear as the  view from
Mt. Washington, assuming it's not snowing.  Conn copied the  Kruspe Horner
Model and experimented with the tapers with the assistance of  professionals at
the time.  Wrap and general dimensions got copied  verbatim.  Valves were
already being produced by them and they used their  "American" size tubing for
the
cylindrical portions to give it a .468  bore.  Kruspe bores were metric, and
a few thousandths difference is  no big deal.  The input from the players was
that the Schmidt  (6D) pipe played better than the Kruspe copy pipe, so they
went with  that.  The two pipes are not so different to really change much, as
I  mentioned before, as they are both long, F horn tapers.  As to sound, I
think they used what was known then in America as "German Silver."  As  we all
know, this alloy contains no silver at all and is copper/nickel/zinc in
composition.  The trade name these days is "nickel silver."  That's  what they
thought the Kruspe was so that's what they ordered from  Anaconda or whomever
at

the time.  Walter's research, which you  have so accurately detailed, showed
that the pre-war Kruspe was a  nickel-bronze.   Bob Fitzmorris, who worked for
Anacaonda and helped  Walter immensely through the years, told Walter that in
Germany, alloys had  different names than here, and they still do.  What we
call

"red brass" or  Alloy 230, they call "Goldmessing" which translates as "gold
brass."  Now,  how many horn players here call "yellow or cartridge brass," or
Alloy 260,  "gold brass" which in Germany is know as "messing."  So, in
Germany in the  1930's, I'm sure there were various copper-nickel alloys with
various  names.  To complicate it, there was no international numbering
standard
as
 there is today.  To make a long story short, the closest alloy that
Anaconda makes now to the Kruspe assay is nickel bronze.  No zinc, as in
nickel

"German" silver, but with a small tin content and a touch of lead.   I have no
idea what this is called in Germany, but the German maker(s) who  will make a
NS

horn today use the the nickel silver alloy 752, same as Conn,  Holton, Yamaha,
etc.  Computer analysis and well trained human  ears can tell a difference in
the sounds of nickel silver and nickel bronze bell  flares.  Walter was after
the "Kruspe" sound and so were other players at  the time, including myself.
I use to sit in the Philly orchestra looking  at Mason's, Nolan's and Glenn's
Kruspes and wondering why they had a different  patina than the Conn in my
lap.  Walter figured it out some years  later.  There are over 400 copper
alloys

available used for just about  every commercial use imaginable.  More info at
_www.copper.org_ (http://www.copper.org)  for interested  parties.

My teacher, Prof. I.M. Gestopftmitscheist, in analyzing some other alloys
for his new model horn, a brilliantly designed copy of the Amborg copy of the
Olds copy of the Conn 6D, except he is using a leadpipe copied from a  Maxtone.
 So far, testing has revealed that a lightly annealed,  cryogenically
treated, slightly corroded but recently cleaned with  CLR Stained Steel bell
flare
has the most killing power at 500 yards  whilst retaining the warmth of sound
characteristic of a fine tuned Getzen two  valved alto bugle so popular in the
days before DCI allowed 3 valves.  As  you know, the Getzen was bright nickel
plated, which has been so widely adopted  of late by fine makers in the far
east who sell primarily on e-Bay.  But,  alas, the professor still cannot
answer

my perennial question: "What if Dennis  Brain had had a triple horn?"

KB

Kendall,  I'm a little puzzled by your comparison of the Conn 8D and the
Kruspe (by  which I assume you mean the Horner model). If Conn copied the 8D
pipe
from the  Schmidt, not the Kruspe, then were they trying to copy the Kruspe or
the  Schmidt? Even with a Schmidt-model pipe on it, would the 8D have sounded
 "closer" to the Kruspe if they had used a bronze rather  nickel-silver?

Also, I'm kind of wondering if Conn even had access to  the same alloy as
Kruspe? Could they have copied the Kruspe exactly, down to  the alloy?

I recall a conversation I had with Walt Lawson a couple  years ago about
their assay of Kruspe bell metal. The first attempt yielded a  strange assay,
which included, among the usual elements you'd expect,?lead,  about 3 percent
tin,
and some iron. It was only after they realized where and  how on the bell
they'd gotten the sample that they understood what was going  on: They had used
an iron file to remove a sample from the ferrule end of the  bell, which
included shavings from the bell, the solder, and metal from the  file itself! A
better sample yielded a more typical assay of a bronze. Walt  told me that lead
them to explore the properties of bronzes, and to find a  standard alloy that
closely matched the properties they were looking for. The  point is that when
Walt wanted a bronze, he couldn't just duplicate the assay  - he had to acquire
a standard alloy because that's all that was available. So  if only standard
alloys are generally available these days, I'm wondering if  this wou
ld have been the case back when Conn was making the original  8D?

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited

48)