Hi again, Guys

right-handed. I have no opinion on whether she will be accepted in a music
school but would certainly not discourage her from playing. I have a number of
right-handed horns in my collection from all periods of horn history and as a
result ended up writing a paper for the Historic Brass Society about them.

More to the point, there is a fine player in the Stuttgart Radio Symphony
Orchestra by the name of Mr. Herbert Buchner. Mr. Buchner was an established
player when he lost the use of his left hand some thirty years ago. He had a
right-handed horn made for him by Engelbert Schmid. He plays second in the
section and said there was some adjustment at first but by putting a little
more space between himself and the principal, and having the other two players
sitting  behind them they hear each other very well. I have a photo of him
playing in concert and you can also see him clearly in the section on a DVD of
Bruckner 9 (rehearsal and concert), with Giulini conducting.

In addition I have two references to members of two different BBC regional
orchestras with right-handed players, each of whom had been playing that way
from an early age.  I was also given another reference to a player in an
amateur orchestra who, playing second, was seated to the left of the principal
facing away from the section, which was apparently satisfactory for a community
orchestra.

Dick Martz

--

http://www.rjmartz.com/horns  Horn