Tim "The Kid" Kecherson writes:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a 1970 Conn 8D.  Instead of =
having corks, it has rubber/plastic cylinders where the corks go.  =
However, these click when I finger the notes, and the valves are not =
aligned because of them.

        Us N series 8D players gotta stick together.

When you trim down the rubber or cork or corkene or whatever you end up using, take the stop plates off the horn, trim on the workbench, reinstall, check alignment, and repeat till it's right. You'll have to remove the stop arms to get the plates off. That will keep you from getting scratches on the back covers of your valve casings.

As for the clicking, as others have said, it probably isn't the rubber, though you want the alignment to be right, of course. Unless the horn has had a *very* easy life, I suspect it is long since in need of a valve overhaul. At least mine was a couple years back. I've owned it since new, played it through HS and college, then again when I started to play again a few years back. You can check side- and end play, not to mention whether the valves will pop after moving a slide. However, the horn, unless a real dog or heavily damaged, is worth putting the money into and is likely to play great once the valves are in good shape.

        HTH.

                                Howard Sanner
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]