Valerie, Pulling the "licks" out is a good idea.

Putting together things as a whole is also an issue, so with etudes come up
with a plan which says day one I learn the first 2 lines, day 2 the next 2
lines, etc... With etudes or long pieces start at the end sometimes and work
backwards ... I see a lot of students that are great on the first half of
something and stumble as we go forward because they always start at the top
on each run through.

Warm up is the time to get ready to play at 100% for the entire day. Try
shortening the time it takes you to "get ready to play". Many people (not
sure if this is you) play for 30-45 minutes just to get ready to practice.
Spend 10 minutes getting ready then "don't practice what you know" but what
you need to learn.

Debbie Schmidt
Tisch Center for the Arts