If you fly a lot with your horn (an awful lot), you might just want to
get a flight case.  Something along the lines of the Anvil (extremely
heavy and extremely expensive) or a Pelican (not as heavy, not near as
expensive) will do well and the untrained airport monkeys can throw your
horn around as much as they'd like (if, in the case of the anvil, they
have the physical strength to do so) and nothing will happen to it.  It
may cost $25 to $50 extra to drag it along, but it sure beats shipping
it or gambling with the chances of having to check a small case.

This is the case I have for my recording monitors to go on flights:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330278-REG/Pelican_PC0370_0370_Cub
e_Case_Black_.html

It's big, but it's safe and very well built.

If you don't like the idea of putting your horn in with all of that
"pick-and-pluck" foam (I wouldn't), enclose the horn in a plastic or
cloth bag.  Or if you're REALLY in the mood for a sweet case, go to
www.casecad.com and have them custom make a case insert for you that
fits your horn to the 1/1000 of an inch.  I have them make all of the
case interiors for my microphones (many of which are more valuable than
my Lawson) and they do phenomenal work.

It's a tad extreme for the average hornist, but for those who find
themselves on planes every other week or so, it's a worthwhile
investment.

Cheers-
Jeremy

Checked by AVG.