Most guys start on baritones them move down or up to tuba

Debbie Schmidt Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 9, 2008, at 4:24 PM, "Steve Freides" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Brass Arts Unlimited [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:42 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] OT: Tuba in Bb or C

Of course, Klaus is right about the tuba usage in most
respects.  In the US, almost all elementary and secondary
playing is done on the BBb contrabass tuba.  Serious students
acquire a CC contrabass either in high school (almost
exclusive if one has a private teacher preparing one for
college auditions), but almost certainly in college.  The
serious tuba student learns the CC for use in the orchestra,
and rarely switches back to the BBb.

-snip-

Is there any reason not to start on a CC tuba instead of a BBb? One of the reasons I'm trying to educate myself is that the youngest of my two boys, who has been playing the oboe for a few years but not really loving it, has expressed interest in a brass instrument and specifically mentioned tuba. Size is something of an issue in that he's 5 feet tall now (that's about a 1.53 meters) and just 12 years old. A CC instrument, all other things being
equal, would be a little smaller, no?

-S-