Apologies for a brass- but not horn-related query.

I know trumpet players start with a Bb instrument and often continue with a
Bb instrument for band work but a C instrument for a lot (most?) orchestral
work.  My son is a high-school trumpeter and, for now, his teacher prefers
he practice transposing the C parts to owning and using a C trumpet, but I
know a lot of orchestral playing is done on these.

I'm wondering if tuba players do the same, namely own a C tuba for
orchestral playing.  If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I was
looking at a brass instrument web site and noticed that
baritones/euphoniums, which are band-only instruments, seem to come only in
Bb but tubas seems to exist in Bb, Eb (for reasons of size and cost, as I
understand it) and C, which I'm assuming are for orchestral work.

Thanks.

Horn content: Yesterday, I got back from the shop my second Conn 4D (which I
picked up from ebay for next to nothing and had fixed up).  This one is from
1960 and sounds appreciably better than my other 4D which is from 1923.

-S-
9:56 AM