It has been my mixed pleasure to play the Brahms Trio numerous times at my annual chamber music conference. The most memorable was when the pianist was hard of hearing, very enthusiastic, and couldn't count. We spent so much time stopping & starting, getting lost and usually not found. There are sections in the piece that simply don't have anything that can rightly be called a downbeat - a river of notes. While I was frustrated at the time, now I look back at that session as instructive, as it prompted me and the violinist to really listen to each other, trust each other and learn to accommodate to the wiggly piano playing as best we could.

David Goldberg