Roxanne Haskill wrote:
I am about to purchase a Paxman 25A from Alan Wiltshire at Horns-a-Plenty.
> Does anyone have any opinions regarding this type of horn?

Yes...they're great! OK, I have been using a 25L as my main horn for the last 15 years :-)

I am interested in the tuning difference; this model in tuned to/made to A442.

As Jeremy said, all that means is that the instrument is nominally at 442 with the main slide all the way in. I am at 440 on mine with about half an inch of main slide pulled out.

Also, how is the grip on this horn; I have small hands and if the grip is
> large or wide I'd need to have an adjustable hook put on it.

I'd say it's a bit on the large side. You get used to it of course, but when I played a friend's Alex 103 last week, that definitely felt smaller.

I might be more wary of issues with your right hand - if your hands are _very_ small, you might find that you have a problem handstopping properly with the very large throat on the 'A' bell.

Tim Costen