It is not an example of a use case per se, but last summer I spoke to
several of the GIS and similar departments in my city regarding OSM.  Among
the people I spoke with was one from the city forestry department (which
looks after trees along roads) and one person from the parks department
(which looks after trees in parks).  Each department had their own database
of trees and from what I could tell they didn't share the data between them
(which seems like an obvious problem to me).  I tried to show them the
benefits of putting both databases into OSM and using that as a common
sharing platform to study disease propagation among trees and whatnot.  Our
city is currently under threat from an invasive species (the emerald ash
borer) and having the data split like that risks missing "danger areas"
where the ash tree density is high but half are park trees and half are
street trees.

Finally, they didn't have data for trees in people's yards and on other
private property unless they were trees along the street that the city
maintained, so their database was pretty incomplete in that regard as well.

I did learn an awful lot from them about what kind of data they collect on
the trees and it blew my mind.  They must have 50 columns in their
shapefile for all the properties they collect about the trees they maintain
(i.e. 50 tags per tree if we had the data in OSM), and they had this data
on something like 60,000 trees!  All in all they have amazing data and
showed some interest in the idea of a unified database but I think it would
take some more work to finally put them over the edge.

Anyway, hope this info is useful to you, even if it is not exactly what you
are looking for.

-AndrewBuck