From: Rod Bera [mailto:r...@goarem.org]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 10:51 AM
To: Russell Deffner
Cc: hot@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] Ebola in Conakry, Guinea

Hi Russ,

Thank you for your answer. I agree there is always a way to improve the
quality of geometry and basic tagging (building=yes).

But I feel this crisis has something specific: no destruction of
infrastructure (which is quite limited on the heath side btw), virulent
epidemic (80%ish mortality within a week) threatening a 1.5M city.

Here the main needs are more (imo) on accurate and comprehensive tagging
(dispensaries, hospitals, other relevant infrastructures, facilities,
and amenities), which requires on-field knowledge, and response time
(the slightest delay in action can yield thousands of extra
contaminations...)

Another potentially important element to account for is restriction of
movement and quarantines, which can complicate the gathering of needed
information (except for medical NGOs on-site, e.g.  MSF. Needless to say
they'll have more urgent tasks to complete than mapping/tagging).

Ultimately the question is about how HOT can contribute on this kind of
crisis (and should HOT do so after all, if we find out we can't make a
noticeable difference)?

regards,

Rod

On 24/03/14 12:51, Russell Deffner wrote:
> Rod,
>
> If there is a way we can provide aid, then yes!  I am not familiar with
> either the area or the disease, so not much help there; but - typically we
> might assist the local mapping community (if there is one) with remotely
> tracing the area from available imagery.  If there isn't a local
community,
> HOT can discuss and potentially provide a remote coordinator - to get HOT
> coordinators on the ground typically requires a partner organization to
> contact us (i...@hotopenstreetmap.org) for assistance.
>
> If you are from the area/concerned for personal interest, I would first
ask
> if you know the quality of the map data in the area and if there is any
OSM
> community there/how best to reach out; then we can work out specifics -
> really we just need to know our efforts are actually needed (i.e. people
in
> need of aid will receive benefit from whatever we do).
>
> Thank you,
> =Russ
>
> Russell Deffner
> russell.deff...@hotosm.org
> The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
> http://hot.openstreetmap.org/

Rod Béra,  MCF Géomatique                /   Lecturer, Geomatics
            et SIG pour l'Environnement  /    and Environmental GIS
Agrocampus-Ouest|65 r.Saint-Brieuc|CS84215|35042 Rennes cedex|France
+33 (0) 223 48 5553 - roderic.b...@agrocampus-ouest.fr