Hi all,

I understand your worry Paul, and have the same experience of unvalidating
tasks. I put clear comments for the people to know why. There is no offense
I hope, everyone has been a beginner once and learning and improving is
part of the motivation with OSM, IMHO.
I just suggested this change in the asking Manager that should prevent in
the future the fact that tiles are validated by beginners:

https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues/598, titled: Validate
button only for mappers who clicked previously on Edit with JOSM.

I also hope iD will have in the future not only a building mapping tool,
but also (as mappers may not use the building tool) an automatic
proposition to square or round the shape that has just been traced as soon
as a building tag is chosen (GitHub issue:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2624).

The tools and the documentation apart, we also need to organize and
exchange between us the people: who is interested in validation checking
meaning also providing feedback or monitoring beginners? Basically you need
to be a proficient user of JOSM and having a lot of edits (not less than
with 4-5 zeros, I would say)

It takes a bit of time but it is valuable and a nice way to interact. My
hello to Suzan Reed who asked me  directly for monitoring her tasks.

We have a list
<http://tools.neis-one.org/tmp/20150425-20150505_Nepal_NewContributorsOSM.txt>
(thanks to Pascal Neis!) of the beginners from the start of the Activation,
some are drive-bys (typically only 1 day of mapping, a few edits) and
others more to super committed mappers. I have started a spreadsheet for
those who would like to monitor these committed mappers.

Sincerely,

Severin