Pierre,

I was simply thinking of copy on the front page of the website, "Your
contribution helps real people".

Suzan

On Jun 5, 2015, at 3:59 PM, Pierre Béland wrote:

Suzan,

Good marketing stuff would bring in more people. As the Nepal response showed,
it is important first to be ready to receive a massive contribution from people
that dont know yet OpenStreetMap.

We also need to look at better monitoring the various mapathons organized, to
assure that the trainees receive sufficient support. The mapathon organizers
should also be careful to not add a burden to the Coordination team by having
hundred of new contributors in one mapathon.
Pierre

De : Suzan Reed <su...@suzanreed.com>
À : Andrew Buck <andrew.r.b...@gmail.com>
Cc : hot@openstreetmap.org
Envoyé le : Vendredi 5 juin 2015 18h30
Objet : Re: [HOT] Questions regarding metrics from taskprojects,        tasks
and volunteers.

Your excellent response noted a number of things I've noticed as a new comer.

It is not always clear that mapping helps. Stating "your contribution helps
real people in this crisis" or "your contribution helps save lives" is focused
and to the point. I don't see that on any of the landing pages (home pages) of
any of the learning or OSM materials. When someone knows what they do has a
direct impact on people on the ground, it is much more engaging and urgent.
Having someone adept at writing PR, marketing, and communications materials
would be so helpful to the organization. It's a skill not many have.

Suzan