John, on this note,

For road networks and rivers its actually a lot better as some mappers only map
to the edge of the tile and the next mapper doesn't realise its important.

We actually added a feature to the TM to create ‘tiles’ with ‘complex
geometries’ for projects that don’t ‘fit in a square’; it just obviously take
more effort to create those.  However, for basemapping it is often easier to
use squares and just ask for several things.  However, I generally tell Project
Managers that ‘natural features’ should not be asked for since they often don’t
fit the squares and in this case I think it’s more ‘waterways were not
requested’, so that’s why you often only get little segments of things.

Cheers,

=Russ