> In a windows environment its fairly easy to configure.  In the security
tabs for the folder you just make the folder shareable but read only.

There's OSM editors that will source imagery over SMB? I've never looked
into it, but I'd be surprised.

Thinking about this very quickly, my points would be:

1: RAID: I'd want some disk redundancy as the device is likely to be used
in tough environments that are far from good sources of replacement disks,
or replacement imagery.
2: Software: As already mentioned, you're going to need some software to
serve the tiles. WMS? You'd want a device that was easy to get running with
third party software. Performance may also be an issue, depending on how
many people you were catering for.

I hope someone will come along with an example of what they've managed to
do before. If not it should be a fun exercise :)

Cheers, Joseph