OpenStreetMap and HOT conventions are slightly different.  In OpenStreetMap
a much wider range of mapping conventions are used and it is quite
acceptable for a building to be mapped as a node or outline, in HOT the
convention is to map it in outline.

If the buildings are mapped accurately then you can do population estimates
by adding up the area of each building although its not as accurate as
counting people directly but much better than nothing.  How many doses of
vaccine do we need?  There are many other uses the data can be put to.  How
many children do we think there are who need schooling?

Once they are in OpenStreetMap then there are a number of ways to render
them.  Some rendering systems render some things but not others.  For
example OSMand renders street numbers on a node but not attached to a
building outline.  Maperitive can dig anything out and render it with the
right rules.

I think you can assume that if the information is in the data people who
need it can dig it out.  They won't restrict themselves to what is printed
or rendered on a particular web site.  They just go for the raw data.

Cheerio John