My opinion is that buildings should be mapped as areas.
In un-mapped areas it would be best to create landuse=residential areas
first rather than quickly tagging buildings with single nodes. When it
comes time to trace buildings it is troublesome to convert single nodes to
polygons.
For existing single node areas they could be cleaned up on an as-needed
basis.

Emmor
(Palolo)