On 05/22/2017 01:44 PM, john whelan wrote:

> consider and it is a major part of engineering.  No matter what compression
> system is used four nodes will always take up four times the space as one
> node.  Maybe not with .7z compression looking for strings in the long lat
> but its a good rule of thumb.  Again OSM is now running the largest
> database known in whatever it is running in, I forget the name.  It's

  OSM uses PostgreSQL with the postgis and hstore extensions. I run it
locally to save on bandwidth latency, plus it works offline too cause
connectivity is poor around here. Mobile bandwidth is getting better all
the time all over the planet though. Adding data to OSM is better to be
done the way most others do it than worrying about bandwidth.

  Looking into a few OSM files, I see <node> used as a building that
hasn't been mapped as a polygon, ie.. just a waypoint. That's useful
enough for most people trying to find someplace. For a building that
actually has it's dimensions mapped, then it's a <way>, with references
to each <node>. It depends what type of info you want from your map.
When generating a display map, a <node> won't appear as a building,
it'll just be a cute icon. If you want to see a whole building shape, it
needs to be a <way>. Some buildings have both.

        - rob -