Hello,

On Jul 18 13:23 Paul van der Vlis wrote (shortened):
> I have connected the printer to a laptop with the
> same Debian version and it worked fine.

This indicates that it is no HPLIP problem but a USB problem
on the particular computer where it doesn't work.

I didn't follow the whole thread but what results
  dmesg | grep -i usb
after rebooting the computer where it doesn't work
with the printer connected and switched on
and after one single try to print something e.g. via
  echo Hello | lp -h localhost -d <queue-name>

> I used the normal parallel port (no HPlip) and a "ljet4" driver.
> This worked.

I don't understand what you did because according to
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/laser.html
the LaserJet 2300 has no parallel port support.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex