I agree this sounds like a possible use problem...

And just because the printer has a parallel port doesn't mean we support
it.  Which is the case with the LaserJet 2300.

On 7/18/07, Paul van der Vlis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Johannes Meixner schreef:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 18 13:23 Paul van der Vlis wrote (shortened):
>> I have connected the printer to a laptop with the
>> same Debian version and it worked fine.
>
> This indicates that it is no HPLIP problem but a USB problem
> on the particular computer where it doesn't work.

I am not sure. Other USB devices are working.

> I didn't follow the whole thread but what results
>   dmesg | grep -i usb

----------
jet2:/home/paul# dmesg | grep -i  usb
usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
usb usb5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0
alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x0B17
usbcore: registered new driver usblp
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 3
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 5-6: USB disconnect, address 3
usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 5-6: USB disconnect, address 4
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 5-6: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 5-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 5-6: USB disconnect, address 6
jet2:/home/paul#
---------------------

> after rebooting the computer where it doesn't work
> with the printer connected and switched on
> and after one single try to print something e.g. via
>   echo Hello | lp -h localhost -d <queue-name>

I can maybe do that tomorrow. It's a production machine with 4 users.

>> I used the normal parallel port (no HPlip) and a "ljet4" driver.
>> This worked.
>
> I don't understand what you did because according to
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/laser.html
> the LaserJet 2300 has no parallel port support.

This is wrong, the printer has a paralel port. But you need to open a
platic lid before you see it.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/

I don't care, I'm still free.  You can't take the sky from me. - Firefly
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein