On 01/06/2017 04:30 PM, Christopher M. Hobbs wrote:
All of that to say you should probably know what you're interested in
with the hobby before figuring out how to get into the hobby.  You'll
be disappointed if you want to talk on SSB hundreds of miles away if
you just get the Technician class license and a Chinese HT.

This is the part I'm not sure of. How much do you get bogged down in figuring out what things you might want to do, before you just say, okay, how do I get a license and I'll figure out what I want to do with it after.

I guess I think there is a balance to be struck. On the one hand, it kind of annoys me when I see people just memorizing the answers to the test questions so they can pass the test with no understanding of what the question is asking or what the answer means. But on the other hand, if you insist on figuring it all out before you jump in, you will never get to it.

So, I do think klaatu makes a good point and I think, as a ham community we should maybe try to share how one goes about getting a license, which, specifics aside, probably is fairly much the same in most countries (but I don't really know). And whether we do this as a round-table type of show, or someone does an individual show, I'm open to either. And then we can get in to some of the specific things you can do with it, probably mostly as individual shows, such as what you did with the satellite communication, which was a very good show, btw.

Steve